Friday, October 8, 2010

choose 2 artists

Abstract Expressionism

Vincent Van Gogh
Starry Night Over the Rhone
1888
line
Hormony/Monotony
This use of repitition makes me feel peaceful, also van gogh's use of colors gives it the peaceful appearance.
Vincent Van Gogh
Starry Night
1889
line
Hormony/Monotony
This particular painting makes me feel homesick. I used to always look up at the stars. The emphasis of repitition on the stars makes me remember home.


Wassily Kandinsky
Red Spot 1
1921
line
Contrast/Chaos
This chaotic painting makes me happy. It evokes playfulness and childlike feelings.


Wassily Kandinsky
Circles Inside a Circle
1923
dot
Contrast/Chaos
This painting shows "contained chaos" it resembles my mind, all my thoughts scrambled around with no way to get out.

Minimalist

Dan Flavin
Greens Crossing Greens
1966
color
Harmony/Monotony
I chose this one simply because green is my favorite color so it is very pleasing to me.

Dan Flavin
Alternate diagonals of March 2. 1964 (to Don Judd) 
1964
line
Harmony/Monotony
This was not one of my favorites of his but unfortuntely the only one i could get an url of.




 
Ellsworth Kelly
Spectrum Colors arranged by chance VII
2000
Shape
Contrast/ Chaos
The design and rainbow colors take me back to kindergarten, except i could never make squares that straight back then.



Ellsworth Kelly
Brushstrokes cut in twenty squares 
1955
line
Harmony/Monotony
It makes me think of how peope see the world in black and white

Post Minimalist


Sol Lewitt
Splotch #15
2005
color
Contrast/Chaos
I really like this peice because it reminds me of when paint drops and splashes but its like the entire spectrum.




Sol Lewitt
wavy lines with black border
2004
line
Contrast/Chaos
It reminds me of aimless scribblings





Eva Hesse
repetition nineteen III
1968
shape
Harmony/Monotony
They look like candles, but the brownish tones make the peice very monotonous.



Eva Hesse
schema
1967-68
shape
Harmony/Monotony
The semi-orbs are arranged evenly and give the illusion of a gameboard..

Today (last 10 years)



Chuck Close
Sean Connery
2002
Shape
Harmony/Monotony
I like how the slightly less exagerated cubes become harmonious by creating the image of a man.



Chuck Close
self portrait
2002
shape
Harmony/Monotony
I remeber learning about him and i like how he uses squares with strange shapes inside to create a harmonious picture. Up close it just looks like a lot of scrambled shapes but you step back and see the masterpeice.



Chris Millar
Back in the groove
2009
line
Contrast/Chaos
I like how the different designs represent different things throughout the past and present 




Chris Millar
untitled
2000
color
Contrast/Chaos
I like these kind of pictures that you can stare at for hours and always find something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment