Monday, October 4, 2010

A day at the Menil





We took a trip to Houston to visit the menil museum. We were given a list of different types of art me had to find, sketch, and write a short description of each. The one thing on the list that I did not include in the thumbnails is the words copied from a Cy Twombly painting. I discovered a quote that spoke to me in the ponds collection; "and in the ponds broken off from the sky any feeling sinks as if standing on fishes"

Writing Assignment

a. The most enjoyable thing I saw would be the Ponds exhibit in the Cy Twombly building. The greenery made me feel like i was back home when I was little exploring the woods and marshes near my house. It made me happy and peaceful.

b. I didnt find anything that truely disturbed me. I have a very open mind when it comes to art. I try to go to the same mind place that the artist is portraying and try to see things their way. Where most people see a horrific painting, I put my place in the artists shoes and try to feel their pain.

c. A peice that I would like to try to create would be "6:30" by David Novras. The design shows merely a white group of canvases until you stand at 6:30 (like if there was a clock surrounding the peice) then all the colors that were intended for that peice come to life.

d. The peice that I would like to learn more about is the "Stereoscope" from the Wunderkammer collection. I collect many antique cameras and I almost came in possesion of one of these objects. They were the origional invention to view pictures and have always intrigued me.

e. I think the Cy Twombly building fit the artist best. It showed his peices from the 50s that were basically created from all his aimless thoughts thrown onto paper. Then as time progresses so does his artwork. It becomes sightly less stylized yet still includes his thoughts in the form of quotes throughout the paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment